With heavy rain and potential flooding forecast, home and contents insurer Hiscox urges home owners to take some practical steps to prevent flood damage to their properties. The Met Office has put out flash warnings of severe or extreme weather for London and South East England.
Austyn Tusler, home insurance expert at Hiscox, comments: “The heavy rain could cause severe damage to homes but taking some basic steps can reduce the risk and help you in the case of a flood.”
Preparation is important to help minimise damage, follow the below tips and help to protect your property:
– Move anything of value including furniture, electrical equipment and valuables (including photographs and sentimental items) as you can to higher areas of your home.
– Prepare an emergency kit in case you are trapped or need to evacuate – this should include blankets, torches, waterproof clothing, food, water and a first aid kit.
– Make sure you know how to turn off the electricity and gas supply (in the dark if necessary)
– Prepare a list of important emergency phone numbers, including emergency helplines for your local water company and insurance company.
– Make copies of all your important documents and store them in a dry safe place which is easily accessible. Some good locations are on a second floor or on the top of a kitchen cupboard.
– Consider sandbags around the perimeter of your house, especially doorways and places where water can easily seep in.
Source : Hiscox Press Release