Home Uncategorized Contents insurance

Contents insurance

0 0

This covers the loss of or damage to the contents of your home. It includes items within your home as well as items you take outside, for example cameras, jewellery and laptops.

Most policies will cover you against theft and fire, and give you the option to insure against accidental damage.

You’ll need to let the insurers know of any high-value items you want covered such as expensive jewellery or camera equipment.

Insurers may require proof of purchase or valuation certificates, so keep these safe and take photographs of the items. If they refuse cover altogether, contact an insurance broker, who will be able to find you a specialist insurer.

Your cover may be affected or cancelled if you leave your home empty for a period of time (often as little as 30 days), or if you rent it out.

If you rent your property through a registered social landlord such as a housing association, they may offer an ‘insurance-with-rent’ scheme. This is where you can pay for your contents insurance at the same time as your rent. Ask your landlord if they provide a scheme like this.

Check – many insurers will offer discounts if you have a burglar alarm and/or window locks, or if you’re a member of a Neighbourhood Watch scheme.

See also :

What a contents insurance covers ?

Save money by buying separate home insurance and contents insurance