Old Man Winter is almost here. It’s time to hunker down and prepare for the winter season.
“Now is a great time to get ready for winter before the cold and snow arrives,” said Sean Welch, a senior assistant vice president with Amica Mutual Insurance Co. “By taking a few small steps to protect your house now, you can save a lot of time and prevent damage later.”
The best place to start is outside, before it gets too cold.
– Clean gutters and downspouts.
– Inspect and replace any damaged roof shingles.
– Remove broken tree limbs and branches.
– Store lawn furniture away.
– Remove garden hoses and shut off water supply to outside faucets.
– Clean and inspect chimneys.
– Remove screens and install storm windows.
It’s also important to remember to store firewood a safe distance from your home and to be proactive and stock up on rock salt and sand so you’re prepared for snow and ice.
The Institute for Business and Home Safety also offers information on how to protect your home. Check it out at diastersafety.org.
Source : Amica Press Release